Learn how to create one of these gorgeous baskets!
These baskets are apart of a rich local culture on Hilton Head Island. Learn how the art behind making these beautiful baskets at the Coastal Discovery Museum from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Be able to not only learn the art but learn about the rich history behind these as well. Reservations are required and the cost per person s $65. To make reservations call the museum at 843-689-6767 or visit them on their website, www.coastaldiscovery.org. Here is some brief history on the baskets:
- This tradition came to South Caroline around the 17th century by West African slaves
- Materials that were once used to make the baskets were not actually sweetgrass but bulrush, a tough plant
- Baskets were used to carry vegetables, shellfish, and later cotton
- Baskets were made by the women, so that the men could use them out in the fields
- Sweetgrass is located right next to water, growing in moist areas. You may recognize the purple plumes that are vibrant in fall.