If you love sand dollar’s as much as we do then you’ll love these cookies!
Since Hilton Head Island is the perfect beach paradise, these cookies a must to make when visiting or even at home to bring the beach to you. These are Sand Dollar Cinnamon Sugar Cookies are the perfect little creations that everyone will love. The best part about these cookies, you don’t have to hunt for them on the beach.
Below are the tools and recipe to follow to create these sand dollars.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Plastic Wrap
- Rolling Pin
- 2 5/8″ Circle Cutter, or any cookie cutter
- Pastry Mat, or a cleaned floured surface
- Pastry Brush
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheets
- Cooling Racks
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Eggs Whole
- 2 Eggs Separated (yolks in one bowl, whites in another)
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Pinches of Kosher Salt
- 3 1/2 Cupss of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Cinnamon Sugar (gets sprinkled on top)
- Sliced Almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar; Mix until very creamy.
- Add the 2 whole eggs and 2 yolks only; Beat until well combined
- Add vanilla and salt; Blend well
- Add flour and baking powder; Stir until the dough is very soft
- Form a ball with the dough; Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper
- Roll out the dough to 1/4″ thick on a floured surface and cut out 2 5/8″ circles
- Brush the circles with reserved egg whites
- Sprinkle each circle lightly with cinnamon sugar and press 5 almond slices into the center of each circle to make a sand dollar
- Bake at 350 for 3 minutes
- After 3 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and press the almonds in again, making slight indentations in the circle
- Add more cinnamon at this point too, if need be, to adjust the overall coloring of the final cookie
- Place the baking sheet back in the oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, another 10 minutes (this time will vary depending on how thick you cut the circles, so just keep an eye on them around the 7 minute mark)
- Remove from oven; Let rest on the baking sheet for 3 minutes
- Transfer to cooling racks to cool completely
- Dig in! Be able to store in an airtight container to keep up to 5 days!