If you watch the news or read the newspaper.. or have a Facebook, you’ve certainly seen the news that there will be a once in a lifetime, total solar eclipse on August 21st. Even more exciting, is that South Carolina, if one of the states that will experience this eclipse in it’s darkest stage! With NASA filming the amazing celestial moment in Charleston, this is certainly a HUGE moment for us in South Carolina– so we want you, our guests, to be prepared for it! We’ve outlined below, some information regarding the eclipse and some tips on where to get the best view (with your eclipse glasses of course).
(This is a map of the path of the moon as it crosses the path of the sun, with Charleston, SC shown for reference!)
- The Beach– We believe that the beach will be the best area for a clear sky view free of trees, buildings, distractions, etc. for the viewing! Not to mention, it’s happening at 2:40pm so if you’re vacationing in HHI you’re likely to already be at the beach anyways!
- ***GLASSES***– It is absolutely imperative that you and your family find and wear the protective Eclipse Glasses to see the event. The reason being, that just like you wouldn’t stare at the sun on a regular day, the light coming from the sun (UV) is still just as strong regardless of the fact that we are in darkness. This can cause serious problems including blindness.
- Book Your Vacation Rental–– If you don’t already have somewhere to stay for this event, we suggest that you book a vacation rental property with us ASAP in order to ensure that you have a great view of the eclipse over the lowcountry. This is Once in a LIFETIME, you don’t want to miss out on it.
Here are some Quick Facts for the Eclipse:
- Types of Eclipses:
- Less than 1/1000 people view a total solar eclipse in their lifetime!
- Planets can be seen with the bare eye during an eclipse!
- This is what’s going on during a solar eclipse:
- It will take only 90 minutes for the eclipse to span from Oregon to South Carolina.
- Only 14 States in the US will experience the “shadow” of the moon!
We don’t think you will want to miss this, so book your vacation rental property as soon as possibly to view this amazing celestial moment in time!