One of the best parts of the holidays is the ever present aromas of delicious cookies baking in the oven, festive drinks for all, and big family meals where everyone is in the kitchen helping in one way or another. Some people may think that this little magical element is lost when you leave home for Christmas, but with a vacation rental property, that is simply not the case! Every one of our wonderful homes and villas has a fully equipped kitchen perfect for you and your loved ones to make even more memories creating new, fun recipes, and devouring all of your creations! On Hilton Head Island, the holidays have an island twist from string lights in palm trees, to sand rather than snow– so we thought we would give you some new recipes to try as well. Who knows, maybe you’ll find a new tradition here on the island with us, Beach Properties of Hilton Head!
Cranberry Apple Cider Sangria:
The weather doesn’t get too extreme on Hilton Head Island, so although hot chocolate and spiked hot cider are great, you won’t need to rely on a hot drink to keep your hands warm while strolling the beach here! We love the idea of the red cranberries and green apple for a fun colored drink to garnish any meal with a holiday flair. Here’s a simple recipe that yields 8 cups of this delicious drink!
- 1 750 ml. bottle red wine
- 3 cups apple cider (non-alcoholic or alcoholic)
- 1 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- ½ cup Triple Sec or other orange liqueur
- ½ cup honey* (or ½ cup simple syrup, made by heating equal parts of sugar and water over medium heat until dissolved)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- sparkling water to top off
- 1 cup freshly diced red and/or green apple cubes
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Combine red wine, apple cider, cranberry juice, orange liqueur and honey (or simple syrup) in a large pitcher.
- Add cranberries and diced unpeeled apples.
- Serve over ice, if desired, filling glasses ¾ full and topping off with some sparkling water.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a straw.
Crispy Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus:
- 6 ounces sliced prosciutto, halved horizontally
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Working one at a time, wrap halved prosciutto slice on each asparagus spear at an angle, covering the entire length of the spear. Repeat with remaining prosciutto and asparagus.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add asparagus and cook until prosciutto is crisp and asparagus is tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
White Chocolate Peppermint Oreo Bark:
What’s the holidays without sweet treats?! Peppermint bark is always a crowd favorite, and we love the cookies and cream addition to this recipe with Oreos incorporated! This is another simple recipe that has tons of potential for little helpers to feel like they have a big role in the creation of this dessert!
- 20 ounces white chocolate morsels
- 16 Oreos, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup crushed peppermint candy canes
- Line a 13 x 9 baking tray with parchment paper, making sure that extra paper hangs over the sides for easy lifting once chocolate is hardened. Set aside.
- Assemble Oreo cookies and crushed candy canes so that toppings are ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, break 8 ounces of white chocolate into pieces and microwave until fully melted and smooth. Be sure to stop and stir every 30 seconds so that chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Once chocolate in melted, spread onto prepared tray using a spatula or knife. White chocolate should cover entire pan in a thin layer.
- Top white chocolate with crushed Oreo cookies.
- Place pan in refrigerator for 10 minutes to harden.
- As chocolate mixture is hardening, melt remaining 12 ounces of white chocolate in the microwave until smooth.
- Remove pan from refrigerator and spread remaining white chocolate over the top in an even layer, coating the entire pan.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes over top of chocolate.
- Place into the refrigerator for 15 minutes to harden completely.
- Once ready, lift parchment paper by overhang and set on counter. Chocolate will lift right out of paper.
- Break into pieces by hand or using a knife.
Hopefully these fun recipes have inspired you to look into some new recipes to make alongside your traditional ones, or maybe it even made you want to start a new holiday tradition all together in Hilton Head. If so, head on over to our website and check out the myriad of homes, condos, and villas that we have to offer!