Rainy days can be difficult when you are on a beach vacation. And although we try hard to make the sun shine everyday, it is inevitable that a rainy day happens every now and then.
Do not fear—there are still plenty of rainy day activities you can participate in!
Below is a list of our Top 10 Hilton Head Rainy Day activities for the whole family:
1. Cook a large meal where everyone has a role. Vacations are a great time to reconnect with family and cooking a meal together is a great way to do that. Pick an easy or complicated recipe, but make sure it includes dishes everyone can help make. Homemade pizza, tacos with rice and beans, or homemade macaroni and cheese with a tossed salad are all great meals families can cook together. Or maybe there is a family favorite you don’t have time for at home—rainy day to the rescue. Be assured that all of our vacation homes and villas have fully equipped kitchens.
2. Take in a movie. Hilton Head Island has three movie theatres offering the newest releases and smaller independent films. Or you can always rent a movie from Blockbuster to watch in your vacation rental. Add some popcorn and everyone can enjoy!!
3. Go bowling. Here’s an activity that it is great fun for the whole family. The AMF Main Street Lanes are always a great place to spend a rainy day and create lasting memories from your Hilton Head Island vacation.
4. Be pampered for the day. Try out one of the many spas here on Hilton Head Island. Click here for a list of full service Spas we recommend and check for available discounts. Afterwards, you’ll be so relaxed you wouldn’t even know it’s raining!!
5. Go shopping. Local residents on Hilton Head often use rainy days to go shopping either at the Mall at Shelter Cove or at the Tanger Outlet Center located just over the bridges. It’s fun to check out what new and interesting items you might find here that can’t be found at your mall at home. There are also many local boutiques located throughout the Island. Click here for a list of more places to shop.
6. Create your own masterpiece. Visit the Art Café in Coligny Plaza where you can choose a piece of pottery, paint it and have it fired. Making your own masterpiece will definitely be a memory that will last for a long time and it is suitable for all ages!!
7. Learn more about Hilton Head Island. Ever wonder how Hilton Head came to be? Who were the first settlers and what activities are there to do that you were not aware of? Visit the Coastal Discovery Museum at Honey Horn to learn these things and more. You can also stop into the Hilton Head Chamber’s Visitors Center to pick up brochures on the variety of activities Hilton Head and the surrounding area have to offer.
8. Keep the kids busy. That’s easy! Kids under 8 will enjoy The Sandbox – Children’s Interactive Museum on Pope Ave. Here kids can do a variety of activities based on local Hilton Head traditions such as fishing, crabbing and history. If just “running around” fun is what is needed, check out the Island Playground—located just over the bridges. Here kids can run and play until they are exhausted! For older kids, there is Adventure Cove Family Fun Center– an indoor arcade and activity center. They also have miniature golf for those breaks in the rain. For just mini-golf, we also recommend Pirates Island Adventure Golf.
9. Visit the library or book store. The Hilton Head Branch of the Beaufort County Library is located mid-Island near the hospital. They have current newspapers, magazines, bestsellers and videos. They also have a great children’s department with lots of activities and things for kids. Also—check out Barnes & Noble located on the north end of the island for more children’s activities and a great café. They have a great selection of children’s books about the Hilton Head area and by area authors.
10. Relax in the comfort of your vacation home or villa. Sometimes they best thing about rainy days are that they force you to stop and relax. Rainy days are a great time to just sit still and do nothing. So enjoy!!